Since 1940, the Washington Redskins have determined who won the presidency. Well, except one time, and that was 2004 when George W. Bush beat John Kerry. Of course, maybe there should be a recount in Ohio afterall. Anyway, the Redskins' final home game before the election is the one that determines the White House. If the Redskins win, the incumbent party wins the election. If the Redskins lose, the party out of power wins the White House. Fairly simple. And this leads us to the Pittsburgh Steelers at Washington, Nov 3, 2008.
- Now remember, Redskins win, party in power wins; Redskins lose, party in power loses.
- President George W. Bush beats Mass. Senator John Kerry. STREAK ENDS.
2000: Redskins lose to Tennessee Titans 27-21.
- VP Al Gore (incumbent party) loses to George W. Bush.
1996: Redskins beat Indianapolis Colts 31-16.
- President Bill Clinton (incumbent party) beats Kansas Senator Bob Dole.
1992: Redskins lose to New York Giants 24-7.
- President George H.W. Bush (incumbent party) loses to Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton
1988: Redskins beat New Orleans Saints 27-24.
- VP George H.W. Bush (incumbent party) beat Mass. Governor Michael Dukakis.
1984: Redskins beat Atlanta Falcons 27-14.
- President Ronald Reagan (incumbent party) beats former VP Walter Mondale.
1980: Redskins lose to Minnesota Vikings 39-14.
- President Jimmy Carter (incumbent party) loses to California Governor Ronald Reagan.
1976: Redskins lose to Dallas Cowboys 20-7.
- President Gerald Ford (incumbent party) loses to Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter.
1972: Redskins beat Dallas Cowboys 24-20.
- President Richard Nixon (incumbent party) beats South Dakota Senator George McGovern.
1968: Redskins lose to New York Giants 13-10.
- Senator Hubert Humphrey (incumbent party) loses to California Governor Richard Nixon.
1964: Redskins beat Chicago Bears 27-20.
- President Lyndon Johnson (incumbent party) beats Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater.
1960: Redskins lose to Cleveland Browns 31-10.
- VP Richard Nixon (incumbent party) loses to Mass. Senator John F. Kennedy.
1956: Redskins beat Cleveland Browns 20-9.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower (incumbent party) beats former Illinois Governor Adlai Stevenson.
1952: Redskins lose to Pittsburgh Steelers 24-23.
- Illinois Governor Adlai (incumbent party) loses to General Dwight D. Eisenhower.
1948: Redskins beat Boston Yanks 59-21.
- President Harry S. Truman (incumbent party) beats New York Governor Thomas Dewey.
1944: Redskins beat Cleveland Rams 14-10.
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt (incumbent party) beats New York Governor Thomas Dewey.
1940: Redskins beat Pittsburgh Pirates 37-10.
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt (incumbent party) beats Wendell Willkie.
2004: Redskins lose to Green Bay Packers 24-10.