Thursday, October 16, 2008

Stiles Points shares his views on sports blogging world

Earlier this month, The Big Picture interviewed Stiles Points. It was a must read. In it, Stiles Points said he has a real job (one that pays the bills) that he works 40-50 hours a week. He said he blogs about one to two hours each day. "But some of us don't have the luxury like the full-time bloggers do," he said.

What I found intriguing about the interview was Stiles Points' use of the term "blue-collar bloggers." I love the term, which he says describes bloggers who "work a full-time job and try to squeeze in blogging any time we can find a few minutes." In the interview he was critical of the "white-collar bloggers." Being a "blue-collar blogger" for only the past four months or so, I was intrigued about the art/science of sports blogging.

This new feature is called "Third And Five." The "Third" is three questions for Stiles Points. The "And Five" part is five quick personal interest questions about the web. Here goes:

THIRD
1. You are quite candid about the "white collar bloggers." What do you want from them? What do they us owe us little-time bloggers, if anything? And who are the top five "white collar bloggers" bloggers? And say something nice about each one.

Stiles Points: I just believe the "white collar bloggers" such as The Big Lead, Free Darko, Deadspin, Kissing Suzy Kolber, etc. don't help out the "blue collar blogger" - the person who loves sports, loves to write, but has a 40 plus hour a week job therefore unable to put in the amount of time into their blog...there are a lot of quality sports blogs out there that these "white collar bloggers" can help promote -- but they don't...maybe someone like The Big Lead is scared that some of these unknown bloggers may knock him off his high horse?...

Who made blogs like The Big Lead and Deadspin the official voice of sports blogging?...

As far as saying something nice, it's not that I hate these "white collar bloggers"...I don't...but I believe there is a clear divide in blogging...this has to stop!...

2. Give me a list of your best stuff you have posted. Top 5? Top 10? What made it great? And did they get any hits?

Stiles Points: My blog carries more of a serious tone, unlike some blogs who are more humorous....it's kinda sad that some of my most viewed posts have to do with Erin Andrews or something of a sexual overtone...don't get me wrong, I think Erin Andrews is great, but any schmuck can run a photo or comment about her...there are quality bloggers who are getting overlooked because they may not put an emphasis on T&A ...I have no problem with using some T&A every now and then, but when that becomes your top posts, you have to wonder who is actually reading blogs and is our credibility getting hurt?...

3. I love your description of us part-time bloggers -- "blue-collar bloggers." This may be a difficult question, but if you had the ear of five or so "white-collar bloggers" for an hour, what would you say and ask? And who are the five or so you would invite to the table for a visit?

Stiles Points: The top five I would invite to the table would be Deadspin, The Big Lead, Kissing Suzy Kolber, Free Darko, and maybe Busted Coverage...I would just ask them to work with us "blue collar bloggers"...heck, why doesn't one of these sites have a bi-weekly section called the Blue Collar Breakdown and recognized some of the good work that is out there...

I would also ask them why they do not respond to email?...I know they probably get hit with emails, but come on, I have had national sports writers like Christine Brennan take the time to respond...maybe all this notoriety has gone to some of these bloggers head?...who knows?...

I believe a blog like The Big Lead has fallen into a rut where all he does is spit out the same blog names...how much time and research does he really do in looking for new fresh and informative blogs?...honestly, I don't think he does...

AND FIVE
1. Favorite NFL and college football web sites?
Stiles Points: Not to be a kiss ass, but I really do like this site The Zone Blitz...I think you bust your tail in trying to provide information to readers...

2. Favorite non-sports web site?
Stiles Points: I like The Drudge Report...I am not a conservative, nor liberal, but I think Drudge does a nice job in providing major news items along with the off-beat stuff...

3. Favorite sports web site?
Stiles Points: I know people hate ESPN, but they really do a nice job in getting the information out...I use them as my main source, then do follow-up research from specific sites...

4. Favorite blog?
Stiles Points: I have to give the nod to The Big Picture, The Money Shot, and this site...
.
5. You just sat down at the computer and you have time to spare, what are the first five sites you check out?
Stiles Points: ESPN - just to see what is the latest in the sports world... The Big Picture - gotta check out what is happening with Zach...
Then it varies from day-to-day...I just bounce around and try to find something interesting out there...

2 comments:

The Big Picture said...

great job, fellas! Fun read...

I agree mainly with the ideas of guys like The Big Lead and Deadspin kinda being on their high horse. they tend to link to similar stuff (though they do try to give the nod to small guys when applicable). but they should respond to emails -- especially if you personalize them. that's just bullshit if they don't.

keep up the strong work guys!

Nathaniel Jones said...

I don't mean to be a dick, but how does Free Darko fit that description at all? As someone who started a random blog that got about a hundred hits a day before getting invited to contribute to the site (while having a day job, just like the other writers), I gotta take issue with the notion that they either a) don't take notice of the little guys out there, or b) have the "luxury" of being just full-time bloggers, as though FD pays the bills for any of them.